IKONICS Advanced Material Solutions (AMS) provides the precision and control needed to perforate and cut composites with minimal damage to hard and brittle materials including carbon fiber, fiberglass, Kevlar, CMC’s, silicon carbide, sapphire, glass, alumina, graphite, infused silica, and many others. Our technology provides the maximum accuracy and can be achieved repeatedly, allowing features to be positioned and sized within microns.
It is our mission to be the preferred service provider of precision machining of composites, wafers and other brittle materials by combining innovation and reproducible quality.
North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) Codes
335991: Carbon and Graphite Product Manufacturing
336412: Aircraft Engine and Engine Parts Manufacturing
336413: Other Aircraft Parts and Auxiliary Equipment Manufacturing
488190: Other Support Activities for Air Transportation
DUNS Number: 006152037
CAGE Code: 5Y101
IKONICS Advanced Material Solutions (AMS) is a division of IKONICS Corporation (Nasdaq: IKNX), an imaging technology company headquartered in Duluth, Minnesota. AMS specializes in Precision Abrasive Machining (PAM), a non-traditional machining process.
PAM can support a diverse array of features in a variety of materials such as carbon fiber, fiberglass, silicon, ceramics, infused silica, Kevlar®, Borofloat® and sapphire. PAM is excellent for producing perforations, blind perforations, cavities, and other geometric features over large surface areas. This is particularly true for array patterns where multiple perforations and/or other features are required. PAM allows for such features to be produced simultaneously, with ultimate precision.
This innovative process uses well-established technology to provide acoustical sound and weight reduction benefits to composites. PAM eliminates many of the issues caused by traditional machining methods.
THE PAM PROCESS: ADVANTAGES & BENEFITS
- • Clean hole edges without tooling marks, defects, burrs, spurs, burning or pulled fibers
- • All holes/features present
- • Will not cause de-lamination or other internal damage
- • Any hole or feature shape can be produced, including slots
- • Acoustically tuned parts through various hole size & shapes
- • Precision positioning of holes/features and highly reproducible
- • Complex curve capabilities
- • Rapid turn-around time for design changes
- • IKONICS Production in-house
- • Dry Process – no chemicals or wetting required
- • Parts ready for use right after process (no secondary process burring, or touchup needed)
- • Compatible with popular industry-used brittle composite structures such as Carbon Fiber, Fiberglass and the like – including KEVLAR composites
Since 2016 we have maintained > 99% compliance rate and a 100% on time delivery rating to LTA production customers.
- • Applied Composites
- • Applied Materials Inc.
- • Bombardier
- • CTL Aerospace
- • Eurofins EAG Materials Science, LLC
- • Fokker Aerostructures
- • Honeywell Aerospace
- • Meggitt Polymers & Composites
- • GE Aviation
- • GKN Aerospace
- • IBM
- • NASA
- • NIST
- • Northrop Grumman
- • Penske Racing
- • Pratt & Whitney
- • Quiet Technology Aerospace
- • Phoenix Composite Solutions, LLC
- • United Airlines