IKONICS AMS has multiple benefits and features that outperform traditional machining methods.
Traditionally, composites have been machined using conventional CNC drilling, punches, lasers, and abrasive water-jet technologies. Expensive, specially coated drills wear out quickly causing burnishing, tearing and changes in perforation dimensions. Punches and other tooling eventually dull, bend and may break. Lasers can burn surfaces, and all of these methods can cause de-lamination. Even abrasive water-jet systems will cause de-lamination unless the process is well tuned. Further, abrasive water-jet systems cannot control depth for blind perforations or cavities, and are a high cost investment.
While not a total replacement for any of these machining methods, the IKONICS process overcomes many of the issues indicated. This innovative process uses well-established technology.
The IKONICS process is excellent for producing perforations, blind perforations, cavities, and other geometric features over large surface areas. This is particularly true for array patterns where multiple perforations and/or other features are required. This process allows for such features to be produced simultaneously, with ultimate precision.
- No perforation burrs/spurs to remove.
- Unlimited Shape Options
- Quick and Smooth Finish
- Minimal Stress To Substrate
- Remove Large Amounts Of Material
- Flexible & Rapid Design Changes
- No Secondary Machining Process
- No Tools To Replace
- Fast Prototyping & Little Slow Down In Productions
- Customer Thru-Holes Specs Met Including Where POA is Critical
- Acoustical Sound Benefits
- Weight Reduction
- Minimize Composite Failure
- Accuracy Of Features Results in High Quality Products